By Lisa Shaker-Knopp (LowFatLowCarb.com)
One of the many hats I wear as a health coach is the one that helps clients strategize from week to week. Teaching clients how to stay compliant to their protocol is a big job. For some clients, it is harder than others to stick to the plan. Over time, I have learned many ways to aid in the weight loss process. Here are some of my tips and tricks.
- Use a smaller plate
- Eat slower by using your non-dominant hand
- Put your fork down between bites
- Chew your food completely before taking the next bite
- Drink a big glass of water (about 20-30 minutes before eating
- Drink hot tea or hot broth when hungry
- Snack on vegetables and protein
- Only get on the scale once a week
- Put a picture of yourself on your mirror for motivation
- Hang a pair of pants you want to wear in your closet and try on once a week until they fit
- Keep a detailed food journal and be accountable
- Don’t go too long between eating (4 hours at the most)
- Make sure to do food prep weekly
- Eat before you go to a party or an event
- Keep healthy snacks with you at all times
- Get your sleep (7-8 hours)
- Ditch the diet drinks, especially soda
- Use cayenne pepper and hot sauce to rev up the metabolism
- Never skip breakfast, and eat protein to start the day
- Look up the nutrition values of the restaurants you frequent
- Manage stress levels with deep breathing or a gentle yoga class
Being on a diet is hard, but being unhealthy and overweight is hard too. Make up your mind that you are sick and tired of not fitting into the clothes you enjoy, or not being able to participate in fun activities, or lacking energy. These are just some “rules” you can follow to reach your goals and then keep in your daily habits for maintenance.
WHAT ARE SOME TIPS AND TRICKS YOU HAVE LEARNED?
This website contains general information about medical conditions, nutrition, health and diets.
To view our disclaimers click here.