This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Patricia J. 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

James G.
    Participant

Over the past year I’ve been working out pretty regularly 3-5 times a week (cardio + some moderate weights), depending on how busy I am at work, but my question is… is there an ideal set of foods I can eat post-workout without impacting the workout I just had too much? I tend to get SUPER hungry like 10-15 minutes after I’ve worked out. The problem is that I’ve basically tried to not eat anything for at least an hour or two, but then I wind up eating a larger meal than I probably should. So my goal is to quelch that hunger without needing a larger meal afterward. Anyone have experience or tips for this?

Patricia W.
    Participant

i’ve been trying to reptly and i can’t …. comment keeps getting deleted.

ALICE C.
    Participant

Swimming for an hour and 40 minutes and I too am hungry.  I drink about 6- 8 oz on way home and have meal ready so can eat then.  My meals are 25 carbs per meal with two snacks of 25 carbs.

Patricia J.
    Keymaster

HI,

I’m Patricia – Nutritionist at LFLC.

It’s normal to feel hungry post-workout.  In fact, a high protein low fat snack right after your work-out is a good choice.  I often recommend protein shakes to my clients.  Other ideas would be plain Greek yogurt and fruit or hardboiled eggs and cucumber slices.  You want your nutrients to be absorbed quickly.  Your post workout meal should be eaten within 30-60 mins of exercising and should contain approximately 200-300 calories.

For endurance athletes – focus on a carb to protein ratio of 4:1

For weight loss – focus on a carb to protein ratio of 1:1

Also note, that you only need a post-workout meal if you’ve really exerted yourself for a minimum of 30 mins.  A light jog around the block does not require a post-workout meal.

Hope this helps!

Patricia

Patricia W.
    Participant

How about a protein shake or some yogurt with some fruit, like bananas, apples, strawberries, etc.
    I know i found a couple of things in the snacks category.
    I really like this one here https://www.lowfatlowcarb.com/recipe/green-coconut-smoothie/

Patricia W.
    Participant

I think a protein shake or some yogurt with some fruits would be good. those kinda foods that are light.
    I know i’ve found a couple of good ideas off the snacks categories on here. i mean, even if you don’t follow the exact recipe, you can always change it up to make it healthier or wahtever.
    I really like this one recipe: https://www.lowfatlowcarb.com/recipe/green-coconut-smoothie/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.