This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Patricia J. 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Esther A.
    Participant

I ‘m trying to follow a low-fat/low carb diet and my biggest appetite is around dinner and late in the evening.  Could it be my hormones that are arousing my appetite late at night?

Patricia J.
    Keymaster

Hi Esther.  I’m Patricia – the nutritionist for LFLC.

There are many variables involved in appetite.  And yes, hormones can definitely be a factor.  As you near the end of your day, your body may be signalling you to intake more calories if you are in a caloric deficit.  If you are following a low fat/low carb diet – you may want to enjoy a protein shake or other snack high in protein.

Hormones will impact your hunger if you aren’t sleeping well.  There are two hormones at play here: Leptin and Ghrelin.  One signals hunger and the other lets you know when you are full.  Both are regulated while you sleep and can become unbalanced when you aren’t well rested.

Take a moment to notice if your end of the day hunger is related to fatigue or if you are actually hungry.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.