By Lisa Shaker-Knopp (LowFatLowCarb.com)
Few people are aware of the enormous role magnesium plays in our health: It’s important to nearly every function and tissue in the body. A Harvard University study found that high daily magnesium intake reduced the risk of diabetes by 33 percent; still other studies found that the mineral helps ward off depression and migraines. You can get magnesium in the form of a supplement or by taking baths in Epsom salts (which is magnesium sulfate). While both magnesium and sulfate can be poorly absorbed through the stomach, studies show increased magnesium levels from soaking in a bath enriched with Epsom salt! Magnesium and sulfate are both easily absorbed through the skin. Sulfates play an important role in the formation of brain tissue, joint proteins and the proteins that line the walls of the digestive tract. They stimulate the pancreas to generate digestive enzymes and are thought to help detoxify the body of medicines and environmental contaminants. As a health coach and a massage therapist, I recommend Epsom salts baths 2-3 times per week as a therapeutic resource.
Because magnesium is so essential to body energy production, common symptoms of magnesium depletion include fatigue, along with headaches, insomnia, muscle pain, cramps, and spasms.
Here is a list of some of the benefits of taking magnesium, especially from an Epsom salts soak:
- Improved heart and circulatory health, reducing irregular heartbeats, preventing hardening of the arteries, reducing blood clots and lowering blood pressure.
- Improved ability for the body to use insulin, reducing the incidence or severity of diabetes.
- Flushed toxins and heavy metals from the cells, easing muscle pain and helping the body to eliminate harmful substances.
- Improved nerve function by electrolyte regulation. Also, calcium is the main conductor for electrical current in the body, and magnesium is necessary to maintain proper calcium levels in the blood.
- Relieved stress. Excess adrenaline and stress are believed to drain magnesium, a natural stress reliever, from the body. Magnesium is necessary for the body to bind adequate amounts of serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of well being and relaxation.
- Reduced inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps.
- Improved oxygen use.
- Improved absorption of nutrients.
- Improved formation of joint proteins, brain tissue and mucin20proteins..
- Prevention or easing of migraine headaches.
- Helps people sleep better and more restfully.
- Aids in constipation.
Of course, if you are pregnant or have any health concerns, check with your doctor before using Epsom salts or any supplements.
One of the main roles I play as a health coach is to teach and train clients on the many facets of their bodies. This is one of those “hidden secrets” that can help clients reach their full health potential. I am a big believer of the benefits of magnesium. I try to take a soak twice a week! I love it and I sleep like a baby.
You should try it!