Sometimes clients have such a hard time figuring out why they are not able to lose weight even though they are making good choices, or why their weight is not falling off as fast as they would like. There are many reasons why that is possible and here are some of the most common ones that I have seen in my clinic:
- Salad Dressings. So many dressings, especially in restaurants have hidden sugars, fats and preservatives. Be careful, and maybe use fresh lemon or limes with a little olive oil.
- Too much meat. I have found that red meat can slow the scale down and delay digestion. It is harder to break down the red meat, and sometimes that will show on the scale.
- Eating too fast. That is a big deal. Take time to chew well, and slow down. Maybe use your non-dominant hand to help you slow it down. And, try not to multi- task while eating.
- Not reading the actual labels of food. Consumers are trained to look only at the calories, fats, carbs and sodium on labels. The real information is in the actual ingredients that make up that food. It is more important to see what those calories are made from. Labels can be misleading.
- Skipping meals. This is not good for your metabolism. You slow down the fire burning engine in your body. Try to eat something every 4-5 hours.
- Not enough protein. It is important to get in your daily dose of protein. Protein is the macro-nutrient that helps build muscle and is important for every cell, tissue and organ in our bodies. Many experts agree that eating a minimum of ½ your body weight in grams of protein is a good base, up to 1 gram per pound.
- Eating out too much. I can tell you the weeks when clients have eaten more than 1-2 meals out, they don’t lose as much on the scale. Even if you choose lean proteins and vegetables, you will probably get some hidden sugars, sodium and additives than can slow down the loss, or you might even see a gain.
- Using too many foods with artificial sweeteners. Try using other flavor enhancers like extracts, herbs, spices, lemons, limes, broths.
- Skipping breakfast. This can really slow down your metabolism and cause more over-eating later in the day.
- Eating FAT-FREE. This can actually be a bad idea due to the fact that the body does need some good, healthy fats. As well, many fat-free products pack the sugar in them.
- Being a night owl. Not sleeping enough has been linked to weight loss stalls. Get to bed.
- You skip your veggies. Eating vegetables help give you fiber, carbohydrates, and fill you up. Also, helps in elimination and hydration.
- Watch the oil. Sometimes too much of a good thing is still too much. Using quality olive oil or other good oils is important in a healthy diet, but you should still measure. Most cooking pans today are made so that you don’t need to use too much.
- Drinking your calories. So many drinks, like sugary juices, sweetened teas, and sodas(even diet) can thwart your efforts to lose weight. Try to change to water, unsweetened teas,and sparkling waters.
These are just some of the reasons the scale might not move as fast as you would like. So be more diligent and mindful and see if you can get that needle moving down.
Do you have any other diet busters you have experienced?
This website contains general information about medical conditions, nutrition, health and diets.
To view our disclaimers click here.