I have always been kind of skeptical when it came to using natural products for alternative purposes. I guess you can say that I did everything by the book and would not deviate. Anything that was not traditional did not seem normal to me. I would notice people talking about odd practices that they had discovered such as putting coconut oil in their hair to make it silky smooth… eww… You want me to do what?! I figured that there is always a first time for everything so, I tried it. Oh boy… Was I ever happy I did…
Who would of thought that this diamond in the rough could work such wonders on the body?!?
Turns out, Coconut oil is the quite the superstar of beauty products!
Trust me, if you start using coconut oil, your whole body will start to glow! This bad boy can literally be used for EVERYTHING!!! No joke… You have got to try it! If I did, so can you. I now even have a whole jar of the stuff in my bathroom ready to be used at anytime. There are hundreds of ways you can use coconut oil in your daily life as well. Here are some of my favorites:
- Body lotion: Coconut oil mixed with Shea butter will leave your body feeling so moisturized.
- Hair Mask: Spread a tablespoon or two onto the ends of your hair, bag it up for the night and let the coconut oil get to work. In your morning shower, your hair will feel conditioned and revitalized.
- Makeup Remover: Take a pea-sized portion of coconut oil and gently start rubbing your eyes. Not even waterproof makeup will stand a chance!
- Exfoliator: Mix together 1 cup of coconut oil with 1/3 cup of brown sugar and mix it up. Best to use right before your go in the shower.
- Cuticle softener: Doing your nails? Ditch the chemically processed cuticle oils. Take a tiny bit of coconut oil, rub over your nail beds and kiss those cuticles goodbye!
- Lip balm: Just like any regular old lip balm, swipe your finger in coconut oil, apply to your lips and voila! Instant lip balm. If you feeling creative, there are many easy and great coconut oil lip balm recipes that you can find online.
- Bath bombs: Adding a ½ cup of coconut oil to your bath will take you away to a tropical escape and leave your skin feeling soft and fresh.
- Toothpaste: This one was the hardest for me at first but it does work! Begin by brushing your teeth with your regular tooth brush (no toothpaste). Then, take a pea-sized amount and place it in your mouth. Start swooshing it around in there and try to do this for about 5-10 minutes. Within a couple of days, you will start experiencing the long-term benefits such as no bad breath, healthy gums and a whiter smile!
- Massage oil: Using coconut oil as massage oil will make you feel like you are on a Caribbean island.
When trying any of these practices, make sure that you are using a natural kind of coconut oil as in raw, unrefined, virgin and organic. Enjoy!